From Danny Byun, CEO:
Dear FLEX students and families,
You have most likely received some communication from FLEX as to the steps we are taking to safeguard the well-being of our students and staff. As CEO and Founder of this company for nearly 20 years, I wanted to extend a personal message of encouragement to our FLEX family and to wish you continued health and safety.
I also feel it is my responsibility to provide some clear words of advice for our students, who must continue to plan and prepare for their futures. Experts predict that the 2020-2021 application cycle will see a noticeable drop in the number of applicants because of disruptions from the COVID-19. We have seen this trend before. The SARS outbreak of 2003 resulted in a near 5% drop in the enrollment of Chinese students alone during the 2003-2004 application cycle. More recently, the California wildfires caused disruptions in the admissions landscape that may have played a part in higher admit rates at Harvard, according to the Harvard Dean of Admissions.
While remaining sensitive to the ongoing crisis, we at FLEX believe that it is our responsibility to gently urge students to continue to work toward their goals and to believe in a better future. Students should prepare to take their standardized tests as planned. This is especially important to keep in mind as students hear rumors of SAT® cancellations or AP® test postponements. In such a case, there is precedence for AP testing to be moved to the summer. Students should continue to study for their standardized tests, maintain GPAs, and prepare strategically for the 2020-2021 application cycle, which will open up unique opportunities for some students.
Here’s how FLEX can help:
- FLEX will introduce complimentary relief and support services. Many colleges have already cancelled admitted student days and prospective student tours. Class of 2020 students who are unable to gather valuable information about schools can find information and support through FLEX.
- FLEX is taking a proactive approach to offering remote and alternative platforms for learning. For instance, we are implementing an online classroom platform for our students. We expect these changes will help minimize disruptions to student preparation.
- FLEX has already begun offering remote tutoring and counseling options so that students and instructors can interact from the safety and convenience of their homes.
- FLEX is expanding its online essay editing services for students writing application essays as well as academic papers
- FLEX will also continue to offer services at our centers so long as we meet the health standards as defined by local and national sources. We want to continue to service our students’ academic needs with as little disruption as possible.
- For Class of 2021 students, FLEX will release a low-cost UC application service that will help students work through matters related to the application process remotely.
- For our popular informational seminars that cover a range of topics related to the admissions process, FLEX will offer live-steam and/or VOD options so families can gain information from the safety and convenience of their own homes.
In addition to these measures, FLEX staff is continuing to work to meet the needs of our FLEX families as this crisis evolves. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns. We are here to support students and families however we can.
CEO, FLEX College Prep