As you prepare for college applications and college application essays, you may be wondering where to start and what college admissions counselors expect from their applicants. Writing a strong college essay is a major factor in the admissions process, but if writing is not your strongest skill, then this task can be intimidating.
Before you begin brainstorming, outlining, drafting, editing, and revising your essays, it is a good idea to understand why colleges require essays with your applications.
Why Do College Essays Matter?
College application essays are an opportunity for applicants to show off their academic strengths beyond numerical representations. It is important to consider that the majority of your application describes your academic career through grades, test scores, class selections, and GPA. To add more details about your academic passions, obstacles you overcame to reach academic success, and goals for your future, write an essay that leaves no room for the reader to doubt your strengths.
College essays are also a chance to stand out by offering the reader a strong understanding of who you are and stories to describe what matters to you. It can be difficult to get personal or write about yourself but being vulnerable pays off. The admissions counselors want to know who you are on a personal level, and diving into the stories that shape your identity is a great way to introduce yourself.
You can also take the college essay as an opportunity to discuss your personal growth and how you plan to make a difference on their campus. By the end of your college essay, the reader should be able to envision the impact you want to make on the community around you. Every school has specific goals for the future. If you can insert yourself into their culture by describing your plans, ability to grow, and desires to make a difference, you can take your essay to another level.
Ultimately, your reader will need to decide if they envision you as a student at their school. Your goal in writing a college essay is to leave no room for doubt that their answer is “Yes!”
Now that you have a strong understanding of the role an essay plays in the admissions process, the next step is figuring out where to start.
How To Customize Your Essay Writing Strategy
Strategies For Finding A Topic To Write About
- Focus On Your Strengths And Goals
Step one is to choose a topic to write about. It is a good idea to tell a story that shows a strong understanding of the prompt, while emphasizing how your goals align with the school’s culture and values.
- Brainstorm And Draft More Than Once
If you are struggling to select a topic that reflects your passion and goals for the future, then it is a good idea to strategize by drafting essays that have varying topics. You can flesh out new ideas by writing more than one essay. This is a strategy to help you organize your thoughts and select the prompt or response that speaks most to you.
Strategies For Standing Out
- Emphasize Your Attention to Detail
One way to stand out in a negative way is failing to proofread your work. In order for your essay to make a strong impact on your reader, it needs to be free of any grammar mistakes or writing flaws. You can emphasize your attention to detail by taking significant time to read your work over and over again, ensuring that you do not miss any mistakes.
- Describe How You Envision Yourself On Campus
Another way to stand out in the pile of college essays on your readers desk is by explicitly describing how you envision yourself on their campus in the future. Your reader should not have to dig around your narrative or wonder what your future goals are. Describe how you envision yourself making a difference through your academic pursuits. You can stand out even more by clarifying how your strengths can benefit the school’s goals.
Strategies To Write Efficiently
- Take Your Time Brainstorming
Avoid writer’s block by taking your time throughout the brainstorming process. If you’re not excited about the topic you selected, it can be hard to dive deep into the prompt. This can lead to frustration and ultimately waste time. With so much on your plate throughout the college application process you may need to strategize how you spend your time.
Instead of writing entire essays and changing your mind about a topic, you can brainstorm in detail to look at many different responses or prompts before drafting.
- Have Others Read Your Work And Get Feedback
Another important strategy for boosting the efficiency of your writing process is having other peers, tutors, teachers, or counselors read your work in order to get feedback. Someone else may read your essay and think of ideas that you would not have otherwise come up with. They may also see mistakes that you have missed. It is always a good idea to have someone else review your work before you submit it.
If you are looking for custom college essay programs in Fremont, CA then FLEX College Prep’s Custom College Essay Program is a great resource for you! The Custom College Essay Program is designed to help students submit the best essays possible.
The program is customized to your needs, so no matter where you are in the writing process, you can find support and tools to better your essay submissions. By enrolling, students receive:
- Learning resources in the FLEX ACE Video Library. This tool helps customize your strategy by describing topics that cater to standard essay prompts. To learn more about each prompt and options for strong responses, take advantage of these video instructions.
- One-on-One College Essay Instruction. The program also includes one-on-one sessions with one of our college essay experts. You can customize your sessions by registering for three one-hour sessions, five one-hour sessions, or 10 one-hour sessions. This resource caters to students looking for an expert to review a final draft in a one-hour session. You can also start from the beginning by brainstorming prompts and topics with your essay instructor and building your essay from the beginning across 10 sessions together. Customize the plan by evaluating how much support you need to write the strongest essay possible.
- Work In The FLEX ACE Student Portal. This tool will maximize the efficiency of your time.
- Meet Before To Make A Plan And After To Review Your Final Product. This program includes two meetings: one meeting to start the planning process and ensure you maximize the amount of time you have available to get the best value, and one meeting to review your final product and close out your time with your instructor.
To find a college essay program in Fremont that is customized to help you show off your academic strengths, stand out amongst the many other college essays a college admissions counselor is reading, and provides a strong understanding of your growth and future goals, then try FLEX’s Custom College Essay Program.
Students need to stand out in the competitive admissions landscape. FLEX College Prep is a team of the best strategists in the industry. Get clarity and support in your college application process. Get into your dream school.